During the school holidays, Mooikrans Equus offers camps in “Western” equestrian art and Horse-directed ridership (“natural horsemanship”).
These courses have been compiled over the years with the help of experts from various fields, and are constantly updated and improved.
The courses form part of our horsemanship curriculum. After completing this curriculum, the student is equipped to successfully operate at any South African or International equine institution.
The courses follow on one another and increase in difficulty.
1. Cowboy attire
2. Terms and history of the Cowboy
3. "Horse Whisperers"
4. Practical: Know your horse, your equipment, and yourself
5. Why do we ride like Cowboys at Mooikrans Equus?
2. HORSE HANDLING
1. Natural behaviour of a horse in the herd
2. Body language of the horse
3. How does a horse experience man?
4. Practical: horse-riding in the veldt
3. JUNIOR HORSE MASTER
1. Horse-focused ridership (natural horsemanship)
2. Knowledge of the horse
3. How do horses see and hear?
6. Practical: Outride on horseback for at least five hours
1. Coaching: Pressure and Reward
2. Problem behaviour and how to treat it
3. Practical: groundwork with a horse
5. PRINCIPLES OF NATURAL HORSEMANSHIP
1. Know your horse. What does his eye, mouth, nose, etc. tell me?
2. Know your equipment. The use of the ring, halter, etc.
3. Know yourself. Safety, time management
6. HISTORICAL HORSEMANSHIP
1. The history of the Boer horse
2. The special characteristics of the Boer horse
3. His role during the Anglo-Boer War
1. Cattle work on horses
2. Practical testing: isolating a cow and calf from the herd and corralling them
3. Practical: Overnight at the Vaquero hut after a two-day outride
1. The history of Spanish horsemanship
2. Practical: Basic principles of Cowboy Dressage
8. THE SENIOR HORSEMASTER
Illnesses and injuries. Treatment thereof.
Anatomy and physiology of the horse. Teeth
The 5 Elements of Survival:
Edible plants and animals, dehydration
Psychology of Survival
Survival First Aid
Basic First Aid. Personal safety. Emergency Numbers
Primary Investigation: HHHCABS
Basic Anatomy and Physiology
Bleeding. Skeletal Injuries, Muscle Injuries, Wounds
Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) for Adult, Child and Baby
Asthma Allergic Reactions
* A pass mark of 80% is a requirement for admission to next courses